Best Spray Gun For Polyurethane [Reviews in 2020]
Polyurethanes are considered to be one of the best materials used for wood finishing.
Best Spray Gun for polyurethane acts as a shield coating for wooden projects.
This helps in increasing the durability and gives a hard gloss for the surface.
Polyurethane protects the wood from water/spills and direct sunlight exposure.
They are considered to be a thicker coating than the other protective wood finishes like lacquers.
There are two major types of polyurethane. One is the water-based polyurethane and the other one is the oil-based polyurethane.
Both have a different drying time, different finished effect, different touch-ups and requires a different environment to work with.
Top Chart Of The Best Spray Gun For Polyurethane
|Image||Title||Rating||Check Latest Price|
|TCP global Brand Spray |
|4.5/5||Check Latest Price|
|33 oz Siphon Feed Spray gun||4.6/5||Check Latest Price|
|600W HVLP spray gun||4.3/5||Check Latest Price|
|REXBETI 700 paint sprayer||4.3/5||Check Latest Price|
|Campbell Hausfeld General spray||4.4/5||Check Latest Price|
Why do you need the spray gun for polyurethane?
There are several advantages of using a spray gun for polyurethane. Some of them are listed down below:
- If you are using a spray gun for polyurethane, then you can achieve a fine finish. This can prevent small scratches and blemishes.
- Spraying through a spray gun is considered fast when compared to brushes. Spray tends to dry out faster. Hence it gives less time to dust particles to settle down on a finished piece.
- Spraying is an easy task. Once you achieve proficiency, you can easily spray.
- It tends to give you control. The rate of application and thickness of the coats are always in control when using a spray gun for polyurethane.
- It gives your polyurethane quality and consistency. Brushes can turn out to be messy and can trap air bubbles on the surface. Whereas, spray gun delivers a smooth, high quality and durable finish work in less time.
- Spray guns save 30-50% operating costs per year. When you use a brush for polyurethane, they become prone to wear. Instead of investing every year in repairing the polyurethane, try using a spray gun to reduce the operating cost.
Spraying your polyurethane can also serve many advantages like:
- Increases durability
- Serves as a good heat resistant
- Protects wooden surface
- Gives a hard gloss for the surface
- It can withstand high winds and seismic forces
- Quickly insulated
- Easy to maintain
- Reduces dust and pollen infiltration
- Reduces penetration of air and humidity
- Acts as a good furniture coat
Product Reviews of Spray Gun For Polyurethane
1.TCP global Brand Professional Spray gun with 2.5 mm Hvlp
The overall weight of the product is 2.9 pounds. The TCP spray gun as a stainless-steel needle that helps it to produce a fully atomized and consistent spray pattern.
The entire spray gun kit consists of a spanner wrench, hex wrench, an extra fluid filter, a cleaning brush, and a locking air pressure regulator.
- If you are a professional painter, this will help you do an automotive painting. The unique No-O-Ring design and the high-grade stainless-steel construction make it one of the best spray guns for polyurethane.
- It is perfect for spraying thicker materials such as high build, thinned latex paints, chip guade, metal flake, gel coats, thick enamels and polyester primers. The 2.5 mm tip worked great for heavy fluids.
- Cleaning the internal seals is very easy.
- Easy to maintain.
- Seals are made of fibrous washers and tend to soak up paint.
- Sometimes you need to thin down primer.
- If you are trying to put regulated clean and drying air to it, chances are the regulator might begin to leak.
2. 33 oz Siphon Feed Spray gun with 2.5 mm nozzle
It requires a 7-12 CFM compressor.
The kit comes with an extra spanner, handle toothbrush, 100 mesh filter funnel and ¼ NTP female plugs.
- It comes with a separate and adjustable fluid and fan pattern which results in less waste and more precise fan patterns.
- The 2.5 mm nozzle is used for spraying oil-based or latex paints as well as heavy paints such as primers and chalk paints.
- One can easily clean the parts of the spray gun. It does not leak or drip.
- It works great in any angle. All you need to do is hold the gun with various fill levels while maintaining proper suction.
- It is recommended to use a very large compressor. A small compressor can make you wait for it to recharge.
- It does not work great on thick paints. Prefer thinning the paint with water for a perfect mist spray.
- It does not come with an adjustable knob for air pressure.
3. 600W HVLP spray gun
This product offers you high power and superior finish electric paint sprayer. With less time and less effort, one can easily get a smooth and superior finish.
This spray gun is perfect for painting and staining chairs, interior walls, crafts, smooth finish on tables and more.
It comes with 3 cooper nozzles and 3 spray patterns. The patterns are horizontal, vertical and circular jet.
Whereas the nozzle sizes vary from 1.0mm to 1.8mm and 2.5 mm. You can choose the fittest one in order to paint different painting projects.
- Besides easy spraying, it is very easy to clean the spray gun.
- In order to use the gun, one just needs to plug it in and start spraying.
- All the parts can be easily disassembled.
- Use a cleaning brush to clean the device.
- It is very light weight.
- The 2.6 pounds spray gun can fit perfectly in your hands and one can spray as long as he wants without fatigue.
- It also comes with an adjustable flow control knob which helps to adjust the flow rate.
- The spray gun doesn’t paint with titanium paint.
4. REXBETI 700 watt high power paint sprayer
The 700-watts of power provide a precise spray pattern.
It has 3 spray patterns and 4 nozzle sizes. The spray patterns are horizontal, vertical and circular.
The 4 nozzle sets are in 1.5mm, 1.8mm, 2.2mm and 2.6mm sizes. 1.5mm-2.2mm is great for thin paints. 2.6mm is great for latex paint, chalk type paint and milk type paint.
- You can easily regulate your paint output.
- The spray gun comes with a flow control knob which helps you to adjust the flow to get different paint output.
- It is very user-friendly, easy to assemble and easy to spray.
- The spray gun comes with packaged cleaning attachments that make cleaning efficiently.
- The REXBETI spray gun has a 6.6 ft long power cord so that you can move freely in the large work area. It is very light weighted and perfectly fits in your hand.
- Since it uses HVLP technology, so it tends to become hot sometimes. One cannot attach the hopper to the sprayer.
5. Campbell Hausfeld General Purpose HVLP paints spray gun
It has a 20-ounce canister capacity. It also includes a 2-in line paint filter, a wrench, a cleaning brush and a 6mm hex wrench. The spray gun gives you the exact result you want.
- It has an efficient design with a high volume and low-pressure functionality.
- The gravity feed design maximizes the paint use, thus leading to minimal wastage.
- It is Ideal for automotive painting, furniture painting and equipment painting applications.
- It gives you an even coating.
- The equipment allows for easy cleanup and creates less waste in the canister.
- It gives you a fluid-control regulated painting.
- The tank-less air compressor makes it versatile.
- It helps you to finish your projects faster.
- The product comes with a low overspray and fin atomization. It helps you to control the fluid/air flow.
- The kit does not contain a set screw.
- It can leak sometimes.
How to choose the spray gun for polyurethane
It becomes a quite difficult job to buy the best spray gun for polyurethane. The spray gun helps you to paint your walls, roofs, ceilings and even pipe fittings.
It is considered as one of the essential components which is mostly used by the manufacturing and construction industries.
When you are using a spray gun for polyurethane then you might require specialized equipment and training.
It is always necessary to pick up the high-quality polyurethane spray gun.
In order to buy the best spray gun, the first important step is to consider the project you’re working on.
One must research on the different options available for each gun.
To get unique benefits, one must try the most popular brands in spray gun – Graco spray gun and PMC spray guns.
There are a few factors which you should consider while choosing a spray gun. They are as follows:
Material on which you are going to spray:
Based on the coating, one must select the HVLP or conventional, Gravity suction or pressure fed spray gun for polyurethane.
You must check whether the material is very heavy-bodied like zinc, epoxy, coal tar or glue.
For these types of coating, you need a conventional spray gun. They are cheaper than HVLP spray guns.
The next thing which you must consider is the material medium. If the material is medium to light viscosity, polyurethane, enamels, lacquers or auto body paints, then go with the HVLP spray guns.
Look for the production you are aiming to achieve:
The proper air cap and fluid nozzle setup are the key factors of the spray gun for polyurethane.
The larger fluid nozzle will help you to apply heavy coatings. Use large fluid nozzle (1.4 – 1.8 mm) for spraying zincs, epoxies, coal tar, and heavy enamels.
If you are going to spray regularly, consider buying a high-quality spray gun.
Instead of replacing the cheaper over and over again, buy an expensive one for the long-term usage.
Buying Guide Of a spray gun for polyurethane
Make sure that your investment in the best spray gun for polyurethane does not go waste.
This guide will help you to choose the effective one and an efficient one. Polyurethane spray guns are very easy to control.
Choosing the best one plays an important role in how effective the material is dispersed. Polyurethane guns come in several designs.
Air Purge guns:
This gun works by using high pressured air. Once you press the trigger, the mixing chamber moves hence allowing the material to mix properly.
On the release of the trigger, air force occurs which allows the materials to be forced out.
Solvent Purge guns:
The solvent present in the gun prevents the occurrence of a chemical reaction. This helps in removing the material spray from the gun.
This gun can be used for two-part urethane coating and polyurea coating.
Mechanical Purge guns:
On pulling the trigger, the valve rod moves which allows the chemicals to mix and then to be extracted.
Top features of a polyurethane spray gun
The mixing chamber: Go for a spray gun which has a fluid housing quick release design.
This will allow the material to mix easily without any additional tool. The process becomes an automated one.
After using the spray gun, the cleaning method should be a reliable one.
The best spray guns for polyurethane consist of air-blast technology.
This technology provides long-term maintenance and allows all the materials to be extracted properly on the release of the trigger.
An accurate application spray gun is one of the key features of a spray gun.
This will help in creating less downtime and minimizes the need for repairs.
A spray gun with a correct tip size helps you to control the flow of coating material.
If the orifice is large, then more paint tends to come through it.
The best spray guns for polyurethane should be affordable and should not exceed your budget limit.
User Guide a polyurethane spray gun
Purchasing a spray gun for polyurethane is a daunting task. It sometimes becomes a tough task to choose the best one and understand its usage properly.
Polyurethane is a thicker coating and protects your wood by increasing its longevity.
- When you are spraying polyurethane, make sure you select the equipment wisely. If you are going to use the spray gun frequently, purchase the one which suits your polyurethane well. Air assisted airless spray guns are the one that gives the highest production. The conventional spray guns are the ones that is highly versatile and comes at a lower price. The HVLP spray guns help you to spray polyurethanes or other coatings that are thinner than polyurethane. The HVLP is effective and efficient spray guns that are portable and comes in turbine styles. There are different ways by which you can feed material to your spray gun. You can feed material either by using pressure, gravity or suction. High pressure fed spray guns are considered to be the best spray guns for polyurethane.
- The next important step is to prepare the polyurethane for coating. Use a thinner to reduce the viscosity. This will allow it to spray well. If you don’t use a thinner, chances are that the material will get large clots and orange peel appearance. If you are using a spray gun which uses gravity or suction, try to thin down for easy flow of material from the fluid nozzle.
- The thinner are the coats, the better are the results. Get a spray gun that has smaller fluid nozzles (1.0- 1.4 mm) and air assist airless tip. If your coats are thinner, there are fewer chances of runs in your finish. Try to apply multiple layers of thin coats in order to give a protective performance of polyurethane. Concentrate on the technique on how the coats should be applied.
- Polyurethanes take much time to dry out the coatings. Try to keep the product isolated from exposure of dust in order to prevent it from getting ruined.
Top features of the best spray gun for polyurethane
Given below are some of the features of the spray gun for polyurethane.
- Design: components that are simplified and have a heavy-duty design. They tend to provide longer lifespan. They are inexpensive to replace and provide you the best value over other low-quality designs.
- Fluid block: in order to give the mixing chamber a breeze, the spray gun should come with easy access to the fluid block.
- It should be inexpensive to maintain
- It should have a minimal bounce back.
- The spray gun should be efficient with high transfer: This prevents the wastage of paint and makes your work done with less pain.
- The best spray gun for polyurethane should have features that cuts labour time.
- In order to minimize the wear and tear, the gun should have low fluid pressure.
- Less over-spray: The higher is the volume of the material displaced, the lesser is the overspray wastage.
- Spray guns should be portable.
- It should also have a moisture-free atomizing air chamber.
- The spray patterns should vary from ¼” to 12”.
- A good spray gun helps in reducing material consumption by 40%.
- It should affordable and within your budget.
Why did we recommend those spray guns for polyurethane
When you look around in the market, you will find a wide variety of spray guns.
Some of them claim to be the best spray guns for polyurethane but once you purchase them, they are not up to the expectations.
Picking a particular model among them becomes a tough job. Hence, we have prepared a list of best spray guns by counting all the customer reviews and their preferences for spray guns.
All our products are budget-friendly and prove to be really helpful.
Why you should buy spray guns from Amazon
Nowadays, people have become so much reliable towards the e-commerce platforms that they do not even want to move out of their home.
They just want to stay in the comfort of their home and make the purchase done. It is recommended to purchase the product from the e-commerce sites.
When it comes to purchasing any home appliance or gadget or equipment, Amazon is the one-stop for all of your requirements. It is considered as the best of the lot.
It helps you to categorize the products of the same kind and let you compare the prices with specification details.
Thus, choosing and finalizing the product based on your requirements becomes an easy task.
Like other e-commerce sites, Amazon ships the item and delivers it to your doorstep.
Once you finalize your product, all you need to do is place the order in Amazon. It will deliver the product on time and do not have to worry about that.
All the products sold in Amazon are original and certified. They take care of all the logistic issues.
If you are not satisfied with any of the purchased product, Amazon has the return and exchange policies.
There are a number of spray guns of different brands available in the market.
If you are choosing a spray gun, make sure to determine its usage and on what surface it will be used.
Before buying a spray gun for polyurethane, try taking an expert’s advice.
Taking your application equipment, technique and characteristics of polyurethane into consideration, choose a spray gun that gives more efficient coating.
I am Benjamin Bevan. I am a color worker. Even I am a professional blogger, Website article writer. I am the founder of this blog: YourPaintSprayer.com I always use several paint spray guns for my profession. So I have shared my experience on this blog about paint spray gun.